July 14, 2009

a bite of provence

One of my favorite (favourite?) places in London has to be Hummingbird Bakery. I found it while I was in Notting Hill and it is now one of my favorite bakeries ever (alongside Ladurée in Paris and Buttercup in NYC). While I perused their cookbook, I found a recipe for lavender cupcakes. Well... I absolutely love lavender and I'm a big fan of flower-infused deserts and drinks (see: St. Honoré à la rose, Lorina violette, etc) so I had to get it.

After some googling, I found Harms Vineyard where I could purchase lavender flowers, and a week later my mom and I started baking. We first had to infuse the flowers in whole milk overnight (we actually did it during the day, for about 6 hours..).

We then strained the flowers and added the milk to our batter of sugar, flour, butter, baking powder and egg. Once we put the cupcakes in the oven, we started on the frosting, which also included some lavender-infused milk.

The cupcakes came out delicious.


YUM!

1 comment: