October 28, 2009

小龙包


I haven't posted in a long time, mainly because China blocked access to blogger, but I'm not going to deny that I am also very lazy. However, since I'm stuck in an ugly dorm room I thought I would write about something, and what better thing to write about than the tastiest Shanghainese treat ever?

Friends, meet the 小龙包 (xiao3 long2 bao1)。


Unlike traditional 饺子, these bad boys also have soup inside of them. So to eat them, you poke a hole, suck out the soup (the Chinese love to slurp very loudly to show their enjoyment) and then eat the rest.


They usually come in a little bamboo basket like the one above. I'm not sure how many people usually eat, but I like to consume at least 15 at a time. Yes, I know I'm a glutton.


My favorite soup dumplings come from Din Tai Fung (unfortunately, the only restaurant they have in the US is in LA). In Boston, you can go to Chinatown's Taiwan Café, and in New York you can go to Joe's Shanghai (there's one in Chinatown, another on 56th between 5th and 6th, and another in Queens!).


The end to a delicious meal! Now who wants to go eat some xiaolongbao with me?

1 comment: